How Much Dry Ice Do I Need?
Same Day Delivery Service & 24 Hour Emergency Dry Ice Deliveries!
Tips for Buying Dry Ice
Philadelphia Dry Ice sells a minimum of 10 pounds of dry ice at a time.
Unlike “wet ice”, air, not heat, is the enemy. The less air that your dry ice is exposed to, the longer it will last. The tighter the seal, the longer the life.
Philadelphia Dry Ice sells six sizes of sealed, insulated coolers to make your dry ice last longer.
However, a general estimate of dry ice life is 24-48 hours.
You should purchase dry ice the same day you intend to use it.
The Fog Effect, great for Halloween or other events, will last about an hour with 10 pounds of dry ice.
**If you lose power, call us! Dry Ice usage varies significantly depending on the size of your refrigerator or freezer**
However, here are general guidelines for how much dry ice you will need:
- Residential Refrigerators: a typical residential refrigerator should** stay cool for 24 hours with 20 pounds of dry ice blocks.
- Commercial, Walk-In Refrigerators & Freezers: measure your unit’s length and width. Add them together.
- For Refrigerators, divide this number by 3.
- For Freezers, divide this number by 2.
- This is how many 50-LB BLOCKS of dry ice you may need.
- I.E. a 4 ft x 6 ft walk-in freezer would need (4+6) = 10, divided by 2 = 5 blocks of dry ice, or 250 LBS per day.
**Again, call us to be sure, but this is a starting point.
DRY ICE WARNING!
Please Read Before Using
Extreme Cold (-109º F) May Cause Severe Cold Burns. Handle With Gloves. Avoid Contact With Skin And Eyes. Do Not Confine In Tightly Closed Containers. Do Not Enter Confined Areas Such As Walk-In Boxes Where Using Dry Ice Until Adequately Ventilated. Do Not Put In Drinks. Do Not Eat. Keep Out Of Reach Of Children And Animals.